Registration is now open for Arts BC’s 2018 Conference: Engagement in a #NewArtsEra”
What does engagement look like in a new arts era? In an effort to attract and retain audiences and maintain relevancy to their communities, organizations and artists are experimenting with a wide range of innovative engagement programs and activities and doing so at a strategic level.
Join us at the beautiful Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre where you’ll experience three days packed with learning and networking opportunities with arts and culture leaders from all over BC!
What to expect in 2018?
- Hear from New Experts and presenters;
- Attend a Master Class for advanced administrators;
- Learn (or refresh) your Board basics and financial fundamentals;
- Enjoy specialized programming for creative entrepreneurs, artists and makers;
- Panel discussions on creative hubs and cultural spaces by the Department of Canadian Heritage;
- Digital strategies and funding;
- The Doctor is IN: Troubleshoot in the Insight Team Cafe—advisors on-hand to help you, and much more.
Master Class with Jerrold McGrath, Artscape Daniels Launchpad’s Director of Programs
Canada’s creative sector is experiencing a period of significant transformation. Increased connections to other sectors, a shift to digital creation and consumption, and greater diversity in audiences and creators, are presenting new opportunities and challenges. Necessary to this change is understanding and propelling new ways of engagement in the arts.
Applying the creative processes of design thinking, this Master Class will offer advanced leaders new approaches to creating engagement frameworks for their organizations. Drawing examples from Japanese design principles and approaches to designing video games, as well as decades of experience in supporting interactions across community and ideological boundaries, participants will emerge with a new lens and comfort level in creating and nurturing meaningful engagement experiences with their audiences.
This Master Class will consist of a 3hr session with Jerrold McGrath, Toronto’s Artscape Daniels Launchpad Director of Programs; Jerrold spent eight years at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity where he led the design and delivery of over 100 programs including the Toronto Arts Council Cultural Leaders Lab, New Fundamentals: Leadership for the Creative Ecology, ALT/Now: Economic Inequality, Getting to Maybe: A Social Innovation Residency, Leading by Design, and Hope Decoded, an interdisciplinary residency addressing hope and hopelessness across communities. Jerrold also recently directed the Decolonizing Canadian Dance project on behalf of the Canadian Dance Assembly.
It is ideally suited for the arts leader who aims to:
- Design and support spaces for ideas to emerge and work to happen;
- Develop the skills, networks and vision to reshape institutions to engage, educate, and enrich community while applying entrepreneurial skills;
- Work with new architectures of collaboration;
- Tell a story in a way that inspires participation, commitment, involvement and scale; and
- Integrate new perspectives and approaches into how to do, think about and communicate your work.
1pm – 4pm, Thursday, May 10, 2018
Location: Nikkei Cultural Centre, Room TBA
Click here to register.
Arts BC has extended the deadline for applications to fill the part-time (contract) position of F...