For the people powering the arts.
Who We Are
We are a non-profit organization that works to connect arts and cultural workers with the tools and professional opportunities they need to excel in their roles and practices.
Arts BC was founded in 1979. Our organization was initially known as The Assembly of British Columbia Arts Councils until we rebranded as “Arts BC” in 2010. This rebranding was a way for us to better reflect our growing membership, community, and scope of work. From the beginning, we have worked to support British Columbia’s vibrant cultural sector by promoting community arts engagement and developing arts and cultural leadership in all communities. We continue this work today with our province-wide network that includes over 350 arts councils, culture and heritage organizations, artists, and creative entrepreneurs.
What We Do
Arts BC is backed by people who have been powering the arts for decades. We’ve walked in your shoes. We know the challenges that the sector faces on a daily basis. More importantly, we’re here to work together with you and the community to build lasting solutions and advance systems change. To make this possible, we focus on delivering the following:
- Network-Building: We connect people and promote partnerships.
- Community Advocacy: We are artist-centered and champion arts & culture across all disciplines.
- Knowledge-Sharing: We share our deep knowledge and expertise and foster exchange through peer learning, workshops, forums and resource development.
- Membership Services: We offer a range of benefits to enrolled members, including access to an extended health benefits program and reduced insurance for non-profits.
Ultimately, we aim to be a key resource for those working in arts and culture. While also serving as a hub for community connections, supporting the development of creative partnerships and collaborations.
Where We’re Heading
Arts BC is on a continuous journey of reflection and evaluation; re-envisioning how we can better lead, build impact and support the communities we serve. We are currently focusing our programs and initiatives on the following priorities:
- Systems Change
- Digital Literacy
- Anti-Oppressive Change
- Sector Recovery
How We Lead
We lead and guide our work here at Arts BC with the following core values in mind:
- Sharing knowledge in an open and transparent way with respect and integrity.
- Encourage forward-thinking by being creative in our work and amplifying new ideas.
- Making a difference by equipping our provincial network with the tools they need.
- Higher standards in the delivery of our work to improve community arts and cultural practices in BC.
- Stewardship in upholding open and inclusive province-wide conversation in arts and culture matters.
- Strive to challenge and reduce barriers to services and opportunities, while advocating for equity, diversity and accessibility in our work and across the sector.