For anyone looking to explore systems change.
About our Residencies
Arts BC’s Virtual Residencies are created for and by arts and culture workers looking to make meaningful change in the work they do. Our newly reimagined residencies are rooted in a Systems Change approach led by industry experts from our Insight Team. This is an exclusive program open to Arts BC members.
THRIVE GROWTH: Digitally Integrated Organizations Level I Certificate Program is our current residency. This unique 6-weeks program is designed for arts organizations, and is part of our ongoing work in digital literacy. Participants in this program will dive into building their organization’s digital capacity in operations, fundraising, audience engagement, and more. Registration is now closed.
Arts BC is acutely aware that there are barriers to accessing professional development and learning especially for emerging arts workers. With our virtual residencies, our goal is to bridge those gaps by offering skills building opportunities that are comprehensive, accessible, and completely free-of-charge through subsidies covering:
- 6 – 8 learning sessions
- Group facilitation and guidance
- Co-design of curriculum, online engagement, evaluations
- Team support
- Guest speakers/advisors
- Learning materials
- Honoraria to participant organizations (subject to funding, please see individual residency information)
Capacity & Training: Opportunities for professional, organizational, and community cultural development.
Tangible Projects: Have a chance to generate a meaningful project on a core developmental area or sector issue. This could look like developing a new financial model for an organization, or applying effective practices to address equity and decolonization in one’s work, and more.
Fresh Thinking & Approaches: Learn and apply frameworks to think differently about how we create and engage in our work, while confronting practices that may no longer be effective or sustainable to ourselves, our organization or community.
Amplify New Voices: Participants will be recognized for their progress and developments during the program as we spotlight their stories and work across Arts BC’s networks.
Our virtual residencies are rooted in Arts BC’s Systems Change work. Participants are encouraged to apply the following approaches in their learning throughout the residency:
- Systems thinking urges us to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
- Systems change projects tackle the root causes of issues by disrupting the ways that systems work.
- This disruption sometimes means challenging the way things have traditionally worked as a means to invite a process of reimagination.
Upon entering any of our residencies, participants are often invited to select one of several unique learning paths by joining a dedicated Program Pod. Previous pods have covered themes ranging from financial management and planning, innovation and digitization, to decolonization, justice and equity.
- Program pods are made of 5-15 participants
- One of our Insight Team facilitators will be leading each pod
- Program pods meet weekly or monthly* for a total of 6 – 8 sessions
- Each session runs between 1-1.5 hours
Inter-session work and readings are assigned between meetings to support learning. The time commitment with this work will depend on the scope of the project taken on during the program.
Please note that program schedules are based on content and may vary between residencies.